Meet Cindy Nemser - art critic, theatre critic, novelist, humorist, journalist, and ardent feminist.

About Me

Email

Facebook

Thursday, February 16, 2006

11:16 AM Posted by Cindy Nemser No comments
CINDY NEMSER'S FORUM

I cannot understand why the New York Times, has printed so few comments, aside from a full-paged obituary on the death of Betty Friedan. Where are the homages, well thought out evaluations, and remembrances from her friends and fellow feminists? Friedan ‘s Feminine Mystique, published in 1963, jump-started a revolution that changed western society, as we know it. It was clarion call that brought many women into battle against sexism and Friedan went on to Found N.O.W. and other important organizations.

True there was a full-page obituary giving her personal history and accomplishments, but also included was an uncalled-for statement as to how some younger women find her irrelevant. After that the Times (February 12, 2006) offered only a brief excerpt from an article in The Guardian by Germaine Greer. I was dismayed that in this snippet, which was entitled, “On Friedan, a Feminist Critique, she wrote, “Betty was not one to realize that she was being lifted by an existing wave; she thought she was the wave that had actually created the Zeitgeist that was ready and hungry for her.” To me, Greer’s mean spirited attempt to whittle down Friedan’s achievement is to downgrade the woman on whose back she rode in her own writings.

I was a wife, mother and struggling an art critic when I read The Feminist Mystique, and I was thrilled to learn that I had not made the wrong choice in seeking some of my satisfaction in the workplace even though many of my contemporaries thought I was not living up to my society-ordained duties. Up to then I felt guilty. After I read Friedan’s book I felt vindicated. Betty Friedan was instrumental in liberating both housewives and professional women

0 comments:

Post a Comment